View Single Post
Old 03-04-13, 02:30 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
For sure it's the stoker's choice on position.

In our case she wants to disperse some weight to her arms the same as her single, plus she like being able to move from hoods to drops. Last year we started using semi-compact drops (Ritchey WCS Evo Curve) that are not as deep as the Deda 215 we prevoiusly had. The compact drops are easier on her tight tendons, while she still has the bar tops and hoods at the old height.

From a captain's point of view (mine) there is a big difference in cross-headwinds between when my stoker is on the hoods vs in the drops. When she is up on the hoods in this case, it feels like there is a drag parachute back there... and she is small too! Moving into the drops doesn't completely eliminate the crosswind drag, but it certainly does help and feel less brutal. Plus on winding downhills with tight corners, she knows to get into the drops because it is more stable with the lower center of gravity and it keeps her upper body from leaning the wrong way to any large extent.

There are a lot of times when she is head down in the groove and I have to remind her to sit up and enjoy the view too. The only time I ask her to move lower is in otherwise adverse conditions.

Last edited by twocicle; 03-04-13 at 03:09 PM.