View Single Post
Old 03-05-13, 04:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Originally Posted by ericbaker
My mouth waters with anticipation for the final product with this one! Panache may be the only word to describe the details that set that frame apart.

My vote goes to (William) W.B. Hurlow.... My Cotten is not as elaborate as some of his trademark works but is unmistakably refined. He was noted for the speed and accuracy with which he worked... profficiency if you will.

He cut his teeth at a very young age (perhaps 16 years old if I remember?) at the large English shops like Claud Butler and F. Grubb befor going on to head the mfg dept at Condor and then Mal Reese. Spent time building and later and acted as a consultant for Holdsworth.

He invented more efficient frame building jigs and was the original innovator of the "fastback" seat stay cluster.
The last claim I'd wonder about. I've seen fastback type stay joinery on bikes from the early 1900s. Not sure when W.B. got his start but I think it was later in the century. Not to say he wasn't a gifted builder. Andy.