bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
The average American commute time is now 25.5 minutes, according to USA Today. This is for cars, transit, bikes and walking combined.

How long is your commute? What's the longest commute you would put up with? How far could you ride your bike in 25.5 minutes?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...onger/1963409/
My commute to work is about 12-15 minutes, depending on my luck with traffic lights. (I live 2.5 miles from my job.) I've concluded that my average bicycle riding speed in-city is about 10 mph, no matter how fast I ride between traffic signals, up and down hills, etc. It's like a Hubble's Constant of urban commuting. Given that seemingly immutable 10 mph average, I could probably do about 5 miles in the average US commuting time. The longest commute I could put up with is 10 miles each way, or one hour of riding. I like to ride a bike, and riding early in the morning, before the traffic gets bad, is a very pleasant experience. However, I also like to sleep, I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination, and I have to be at work by 7:00 AM. I'm not at all willing to get up at 4:00 AM every day in order to do a two hour ride to get to my job. I respect, even admire, those willing to do it, but I'm pretty content with my wussy 15 minute jaunt, thank you very much.

Last edited by bragi; 03-06-13 at 01:50 AM. Reason: missing preposition