Old 03-06-13, 01:28 AM
Tansy

Bikes: Novara Safari(2009)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seconding the divacup/mooncup suggestion. It's the one thing you need to make sure you never end up stuck in a storm in a tent all day and night with the bleeds and one emergency tampon.

I carried some halt dog spray for a while. Twice dogs chased me and I never had time to get the bottle out. The one time I ever used it, it was to season my pasta. I had a stun gun for a while, and managed to zap myself good with it but*aside from that never even recharged the battery and eventually someone else broke it while trying to electrocute his boss. There's no reason -not- to have some possible thing to be used in self-defence, and a knife is just a nice thing to have period. Apples don't slice themselves.

The only creeps I've run into were in place where I stayed for weeks. All of them were well-intentioned (maybe) creeps who mosty just wanted to warn me to watch out for 'that other guy' (everyone but him). All seemed fairly harmless. When I'm moving along, people generally seem either very open and friendly(most common), sort of confused and maybe troubled, or they just drive by and don't look at me. Just kinda be ready to explain to a lot of people that yeah you're alone and it's okay don't worry. Spread the word - traveling alone is safe for anyone if they make it that way.

I've been running around mostly on a bike, sometimes staying in a town for a while or hitchiking a bit, for about two years and the few conflicts I've run into have been in groups of people where I just pretty much got drawn in by proximity. Riding alone is a lot more tranquil. Hope you have a great time