Old 03-07-13, 12:49 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pctjeff23
I can definitely see the convenience of that, with the suitcase doubling as a wheeled attachement for the back of the bike. I would just be concerned about the weight. I would think a hard case like that would weigh at least 10 pounds. I think splitting the bike up into two soft shell bags might be the way to go if the bike is over the limit. Maybe I could carry one of the bags with the wheels, handlebars, and seatpost as carry-on, assuming they are not interpreted as lethal objects (I've never heard of an attempted highjack using 20'' bike wheels or padded handlebars).
Assuming a standard weight limit for carry on of 50 lb or 22 kg, I usually come out at 48 to 49.5 lbs with bike and case. Close, but it adheres to their regulations. I've never had a problem yet. I use a scale at home obviously to check prior to leaving. All bike components are in the hard case, including my helmet and a judicious selection of tools, which you usually can't bring on board as carry on.

I think you would have some difficulty boarding with wheels, seatpost, etc., especially a seat post. Long, hard, metal objects could be interpreted as weapons. I know they usually question my tripods for photography, even if they're small ones.