View Single Post
Old 03-08-13, 10:45 AM
stevo9er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B200Pilot
Thank you so very much for all the informative and extremely relevant answers. I'm still torn bettween a hard case or soft case. I was always under the impression that soft cases are no good, unless you're personally handling your bike (ex, car, ferry or flying your personal plane from A to B)... Quick question on the soft "Backpack Case". Can one compress it enough to fit it in a rear pannier, say Ortlieb Back Classic (or even front for that matter)?
I haven't tried it, but I saw these reviews at treefortbikes.com:

This pack is durable and well built, but the plastic/resin panels are way too heavy and bulky to ever carry along on a tour. I simply replaced them with cardboard cut to a similar size (wheel boxes work well) and I plan to discard the cardboard panels after the flight over (4 month unsupported tour of Europe). I plan to use the pack without panels for those times when I will be carry my own luggage...such as trains and taxis. Still haven't worked out the return air leg, although I'll probably beg, borrow or steal another wheel box to sacrifice!
Packing a bike for traveling is never fun. Indeed, it is often a real pain. This case makes my life simpler when it comes to packing my S&S coupled touring bike. Like a previous reviewer, I do not use the plastic panels. Instead, I cut out cardboard to give the case some rigidity when I am traveling. The cardboard is tossed when I arrive; and, new cardboard is procured when I am ready to leave. With a knife, some cardboard, and a roll of duct tape I can pack the frame, wheels, racks, and fenders all into the case. Soft items and scraps of cardboard protect the bike parts from one another. On a related note, you will be much happier if you remove the chain and store it separately from everything else. Also, find a cheap plastic bowl to tape over the cassette.
Seems like if you are willing to ditch the plastic panels that line the edge of the bag and use cardboard or future-board (something you are willing to toss), then the bag itself will fit into a pannier just fine.

Update: I emptied my bag and shoved it into my Ortlieb front roller classic bag. http://imgur.com/a/S6EZ6 . You can see the panels on the left, way too big to take anywhere.

I think another thing to consider is the fact that a hard case will probably last many more trips than the soft case.

Last edited by stevo9er; 03-08-13 at 10:50 AM.