Old 03-08-13, 12:40 PM
texasdiver

Bikes: Cannondale F2000, Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo, and many more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone ever broken spokes on the bladed Rolf Prima tandem wheelsets?

Just bought a new Co-motion Periscope. The bike came with the Rolf Prima Tandem Disk wheelset which has deep aero rims and bladed spokes with internal nipples. I guess I'm old school but I've never dealt with these types of spokes or rims before. My other bikes have traditional rims and traditional nippled spokes that one adjusts or replaces using an ordinary old spoke wrench.

I'm planning a month-long road tour with my daughter this summer and it occurs to me that perhaps I should be carrying replacement spokes and tools to deal with the chance of a broken spoke. Back in the day I used to always tour with with a replacement spokes stored inside my seat post and a spoke wrench and freewheel tool and would occasionally need to replace a broken spoke.

Does that sort of thing happen with these new style wheels and is it something I need to plan for? Seems to me that a broken spoke on one of these aero wheels with only 20 spokes would be an even more catastrophic failure than on an old school wheel with 36 spokes.