View Single Post
Old 03-09-13, 03:48 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Hmmm. . . It sounds like the Lycra-clad boys down at the local hoity-toity bike shop will not be of much help anyway.
The nice thing about steel is that if it's not bent too badly, it can be bent back. I think that your fork is quite repairable, but you'll have to disassemble things a bit to get at the fork. You will want to lube and replace the ball bearings in there when you reassemble things. They're balls are normally 5/32" diameter (rarely 1/8") and can be purchased on-line quite inexpensively. There are about 40 of them. You can use marine or axle grease to lube them, which also holds them in place during reassembly.

I've had good luck bending forks with this sort of a car-jack apparatus:

I like it because it applies the fore-aft load at the same point as the original impact - but in the opposite direction. The amount of force you apply with it is incremental, and very controllable.

If there is any lateral displacement of the fork blades as well, you will notice the bike pulling rt/lt, especially when riding no hands.
This can generally be bent back into position by hand on the bike, a little at a time, until it's good. The best way is to lay the bike down with the wheel removed, and pull up on one blade to move it a couple of mm, then measure the distance to the other fork blade, and pull up on it until you effect a distance that is equal to the width or the front axle, from locknut to locknut. Test and repeat if necessary.
(blades too far right = bike pulls to the left and vice versa.) - And make sure the axle is fully seated in the dropout before attempting to correct anything!
Auchen, I don't remember seeing that contraption before now, but that is a great way to approach fixing a fork. I have a badly bent fork on an Ace bicycle that was given me over the summer and I might try that.