View Single Post
Old 09-02-05, 01:51 PM
layarbrough

Bikes: Trek Y-Foil, Burley HepCat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a problem that I have wrestled with. You can output your vids to a low resolution and send them e-mail but you loose so much clarity and if you've put sound (music) tracks on them they are reduced to mono. At first I did that and just was not pleased with the result. You can post them to a free hosting service (i.e. rapid share), but really that was a hassle for people trying to see them through the links.

So I solved the problem by paying $9.56/mo to have a domain hosted through Yahoo (that's a discount since I have Yahoo DSL). Initially I got the domain because I was trying to get them posted through the new Google (beta) video search system. But in order to post vids you have to have a URL. I did get 3 of the five on Google (do a Google Video search for ShareTheRoad). The advantage of Google is that they provide a player that appears to be "cross platform" so that no matter what op system you're using or what codecs you have loaded you can view the vids through the Google viewer and it seems to work very well.

But still this is a lot to go through to post your vids so that your friends can view them - but it can be done.

Since I have created this site to display the vids that I've made (with help from my buddies on the road) and I own the domain and "control" the zone. It seems reasonable to me that I can offer to host other people's cool vids on my site on a guest page that I can create. The logistics of all of this is yet to be worked out, but it should be doable. It probably would envolve posting your vid to rapidshare and sending the link to me. Then I would download it to my system and post it to my page. It would be a lot easier to snail mail a disk to me. I would be willing to do this in the spirit of sharing the vids, which is really what its all about. It's worth a try and I'm willing to try it.

Go to my site and see if you want to have a vid or two (just pick the best ones) on a "guest" page. If so, contact me through the site and we'll work it out. This is an open offer for anyone with good vids. Keep the file size below 20 MB if you can.

Lon
www.ShareTheRoad.us