Old 03-12-13, 06:18 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ditchbanker
Yeah, sorry for not specifying. Right now I'm thinking of getting something used of craigslist that's at least in my size ($100 neighborhood) and riding til I get a better feel for what I'm really going to do. A used fully rigid bike shouldn't cost that much more than a set of new tires/tubes for my hybrid.
Nothin' wrong with that! If you're not sure what type of riding you're going to be doing, you don't want to go out and wind up spending a lot of cash on the wrong tool for the job. You may find yourself wanting to do one type of riding, then wind up not liking it as much as you thought you would.

Buying the "wrong tool for the job" kinda "happened" to me except I spent $35,000 to do it. I went out and bought a 2012 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon thinking I'd love the whole off-roading experience, got out there, and really wasn't very fond of all the bouncing around; it kinda made my stomach sick. I figured I'd like the whole "rock crawling" experience; in fact, I just knew I'd like it. So, I got out to Rausch Creek Off-Road Park and was not fond of it at all. That doesn't mean I won't like off-roading, it just means I didn't like that style or type of terrain. I'd much prefer more of a "Jurassic Park" type terrain than rocks, and I probably could have saved myself a lot of money if I didn't get the Rubicon. What can I say, that's what I get for not doing my homework first...but I don't regret getting the Rubicon, it's a great "wrong tool for the job."