View Single Post
Old 09-02-05, 03:01 PM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ivan_yulaev
I think 8 years is the current helmet recommendation. Most modern helmets have foam treated against UV...
Had a Giro 2 years ago, after a year every time I touched the plastic over the foam it would crumble and chunks would fall off (probably a good sign it is time for a new helmet me thinks). More Recent Helmet was a Bell Furio, Great helmet, slowly went from solid yellow to a two tone with a color fade to white as you got further back on the helmet (I ride west in the morning). Foam was fine (a little ding here and there from life as a bike accessory but no major dents until I cracked it). I think they do have some degree of UV protection but nothing can permanently delay UV aging I think.

Incidentally my pads went south after less than half a year and I couldn't get replacements, it was about the time I started wearing a do-rag/cyling cap so it really didn't matter.

Just my experience. UV is powerful stuff.