Old 09-02-05, 03:04 PM
chroot
Newbie Extraordinaire

Bikes: Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give me a break, dude. I know what you're trying to say -- if we all just used the full lane all the time and were total VC monkeys, we'd never be in the door zone, and we'd never get doored.

That's a nice cozy sentiment and all, but it's, well, stupid. People in cars get doored, too, and they use the full lane. People stop halfway into curb lanes, then jump out huffing and puffing with a load of dry-cleaning in their arms. People turn on their emergency flashers and double-park. People throw open doors at intersections to spit or pour out their two day old Mountain Dew. There are a lot of ways to get injured by cars doors, whether you're a cyclist or a motorist, and they are universally not the fault of the doored party.

Bottom line: in my opinion, there is no One True Way to operate a bicycle, and the ability to adapt to traffic and road conditions will carry you a lot further than repeating the mental flatulence of Forester or patting yourself on the back for being the self-appointed VC police.

- Warren