Old 03-13-13, 08:20 AM
texasdiver

Bikes: Cannondale F2000, Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo, and many more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get rid of the cross levers. that will require installing new cable housing and re-wrapping your bars but that is easily done. I have that same bike. It came with way too long cable and brake housings that were flopping around. I shortened all of them up, wrapped new tape on, and the front end of the bike is much cleaner.

This rack is supposed to attach using cantilever bolts so it should theoretically fit your fork: http://www.compasscycle.com/racks_gb_narrow.html but that would mean putting on a different front brake. If your hub has the disk mounting holes and your fork has the disk brake mounting brackets like mine does then you should be able to pick up a BB7 caliper and disk and convert your front brake to disc or alternatively find some kind of rim brake that mounts on the center hole of the fork.

As for whether these carbon forks can take a rack? Think about the strain that these forks undergo when you are riding over rough terrain with your weight on the bars. ESPECIALLY during cyclocross races which is what this bike was designed for. Riders bang over logs and rocks and abuse their bikes in all sorts of torturous ways. And they are made for disk brakes which puts a lot of stress on the fork as well. A 150 lb rider bouncing over rocks and logs is going to put 100x the strain on a fork than a 5 kg handlebar bag that will also be attached to the handlebar. Remember that the cantilever mounting points are also reinforced because hard braking puts a lot of stress on the fork as well.

Last edited by texasdiver; 03-13-13 at 08:32 AM.