Old 03-14-13, 04:09 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main reason I didn't think of doing this before -- I already knew about the wild berries and their abundance -- is that I thought, going along with prevalent views and assumptions, that eating too much fruit was not advisable, because (as 'everyone knows') a diet that high in fruit:

(1) is dangerously low in protein

(2) has too much sugar

(3) too much fruit (and therefore sugar) will cause diabetes and insulin spikes and who knows what else -- all kinds of problems, though (according to good old conventional wisdom)

(4) just isn't healthy

(5) will not keep you strong

(6) is not what most people do, and therefore just shouldn't be done

(7) is somehow crazy or scary or dangerous

And so on.

These assumptions are quite false, but widely held.

Then I came across people like Michael Arnstein and Durianrider (both of them elite athletes), and Doug Graham and Frederic Patenaude.

These guys have researched these issues thoroughly, and tested them for years. Durianrider has very thorough blood testing done regularly; and he posts it openly.

The scientific data show clearly that fruit typically contains just about the right amount of protein for human beings, and is very much in line with the World Health Organization's protein recommendations....

So, basically, in a nutshell, new possibilities opened up for touring.

If anyone is interested in a couple of good reads and more information on the subject,

this book by Patenaude is excellent and highly recommended,

http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Food-Contr...eric+patenaude

Kindle edition (9.99): http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Food-Contr...3298094&sr=8-1

And this one is a classic on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/The-80-10-Diet...raham+80+10+10

This reviewer sums up one aspect of the situation:

"At first I thought it was crazy, honestly-- I was even going to just leave the book at work for someone else to take."

With a little more than three months on it, I really like this eating plan. It is not just fruit, although that is the bulk of what you eat. Which is fine if you like fruit (and I sure do!). For dinner you also eat a salad/soup type of meal, with some added fats in the form of nuts or avocado. I still can't eat as much as Graham recommends as far as the quantity of fruit, but I haven't felt like I'm starving or not getting enough nutrients. I actually feel pretty good.
At first I thought it was crazy, honestly-- I was even going to just leave the book at work for someone else to take. However, the more I read, the more I liked what Dr. Graham was saying. And anyone with young children will know that humans do tend to love and crave fruit. It's just when we get older we learn to prefer processed types of food.
The best thing is how simple and easy it is to shop for, prepare, and clean up after preparing a meal. Buying the simple ingredients has also been surprisingly easy on my budget.

(Not everyone is happy with this approach, but most reviews are very positive. And it seems as if the failures are often caused by user errors rather than basic or inherent flaws in the approach, which has been thoroughly demonstrated to work well for many active, athletic individuals like Michael Arnstein, Durianrider, and Doug Graham.)

Last edited by Niles H.; 03-14-13 at 04:48 PM.