View Single Post
Old 03-15-13, 06:14 PM
Bardleyrichard
Mmmm vegetables

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport, Fuji Sports 12, Diamondback Wildwood (haha)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calstar
I agree with you 100% regarding the weight. I did give the wrong impression when I stated that it was "worlds" lighter than straight gauge above(it is lighter, but not a choice factor for me). As far as the "feel", I'm sticking with my "worlds more responsive, compliant" and without being "flexy". From my own experience riding very large frames(I'm 6'11 and mostly around 245lbs) with both straight gauge and butted tubes I can say, again, in my own experience, the ride quality of butted is noticeably better.
Right on, I'm not as big as you, 6'7" and 200-225 pounds, but I hope I'll be comfortable on a stiffer frame. I ride a lot every day in Chicago, so I'm used to bumps everywhere, hah.

"And are you saying a steeper or more "relaxed" seat tube works better on big frames."

Neither, I'm saying the longer the seat tube(st) the farther back(over the rear wheel) the riders weight will be given the same angle and that will effect the bikes handling. A 68cm st will put the riders weight farther back over the rear wheel than a 58cm given the same chain stay(cs, sorry for taking that for granted) length.

"I was thinking about asking him to do a 450-470mm chainstay, if I read that right, you think that would be overall advantageous?"

I think longer than 420mm would be better, that seems short to me for a large frame, and I can't think of a disadvantage by going longer.

Alright, I'll ask him how he feels about the longer chainstays. His main clientele is "fixie" riders who want "aggressive" track frames, so I think he's just used to building frames with those ideals in mind. That's not to say he hasn't built touring or road frames, though, so I'm sure he would understand.

I'm sure your frame builder knows your needs far better than I; it will be a great frame no matter what the material/size you and your builder decide on.

enjoy the ride,

Brian
Thanks again for your input, I am so excited to finally have a proper fitting bike!