Old 09-02-05, 11:33 PM
NoReg
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You have two approaches. One is to try to find a compromise bike, and the other is to buy a specialty bike, presumably for the use you take most seriously, and muddle through for the other use.

In this case I think it is easy. If you go to a touring bike, it should be fine for comuting, it would probably be better than many other compromises one sees out there. For instance, Mountain bikes are wonderful, and make good comuters, but if you comute on roads, you will pass a lot of mountain bikes on a touring bike, they tend to be a lot faster. If you go for a compromise touring bike, you may find it has some problems, like heel strike on the paniers, or a rough ride.

Another good compromise is MTB for touring. Not ideal for roads, but I don't know that you aren't planing to tour off-road. I have comuted on just about every style of bike known to man, and don't consider it a terribly demanding use. For one thing, you get to do the same trip day after day. So let's say driving up that gargantuan hill on nobby 2" MTB tires isn't ideal, after you have made it a few times, your body gets to know the route real well, and it isn't a big deal.

Anyway, figure out the use you really want to be styling for, and go all out on that one.

If you decide on a touring bike, Search here for "frame, build, surly, canondale, nashbar, 520" You should get lots of hits.