View Single Post
Old 09-03-05, 12:54 AM
wildjim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
I like first hand data better than what some company tries to feed you. I've had 2 wheelsets with formula hubs. One set has lasted a while but the maint. is way more than it should be.Another set (on my sons bike) the rear was shot after about 3 months and the front has gone bad in in about 8.The sets with shimano I've had no problems with.Shimano hubs are not high end or real light but thay have been very good for the riding I do.If you want data on how great formula hubs are go to their web site, I'm sure it will tell you.
I've read many reviews from users of Formula hubs and they are wildly inconsistent from those who curse them to those who swear by them. Another problem with the reviews is that the exact model of hub is not indicated; which makes the review data nearly worthless for reference.

Also many reviewers seemed to indicate that the problem began as they rode in wet muddy conditions. If so and grit entered the bearings it won't take long before the grit will destroy the hub. Proper maintenance is necessary for any hub; that is you can't ride around with a hub full of dirt and or sand and expect it to last.

Two of the reviews concerned me as they stated that the pawls in the rear hub split, and fractured. All of the problem hubs from what I could tell were the rear hubs with cup and cone loose bearing design.

The Formula hubs that I own are of the cartridge bearing type and they are very smooth and functional to date.