Old 09-03-05, 05:10 AM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
I ride a large OCR2 and wear size 13-14 shoes depending on brand. I use toe clips, and I realize that puts my feet a bit further back on the pedals, but it never occurred to me to wonder if panniers would fit without my heels striking them.

Well, they don't. Fit without getting smacked, that is. I got the $24.99 set from Nashbar to see if I liked the idea, and I was impressed with how nicely they mounted to my Pyramid rack, but I can't stop hitting 'em.

I usually ride in a pair of cross trainers with a very big, wide sole at the heel, and since I just brush the panniers it probably wouldn't happen if I wore cycling shoes and/or used clipless--but I don't want to do that right at the moment as I'm still learning to pedal with my feet attached to the bike and I like being able to hop on in street shoes and go.

Are there big differences in panniers? Will some mount further back, or not extend so far forward, or am I stuck? It's not a huge deal, but it's disappointing. I was looking forward to getting some stuff off my back.
Hey Don...
I too am blessed with Skis for feet... 13.5-14.0 inches depends on the shoes. My bike shoes are 13.5 (48's I believe) I was going to get the Arkel Bug (backpack) Pannier, BUT, my heel was hitting it as I tried it on at the bike shop.
Now there is a solution, it would fit if I bought a LONGER rear rack, such as Jandd Expediton Rack. The price knocked that idea outta my head! I think they wanted 90.00 for the rack.
I have an old OLD Blackburn Expedition rack, (before they even called it an Expedition Rack LOL), You might do a search on eBay or somewhere for Kirtland Panniers. They don't make them anymore, but they will fit. Here is a photo of mine below...
Good Luck