View Single Post
Old 03-18-13, 07:13 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=NOS88;15399909 "Always take a day off between working different parts of the body." The theory being that each muscle group needs time to rest and repair itself. For many of us with considerable miles in our legs, we're probably more focused on cardio issues than muscle repair. But for a very out of shape rider or a new rider they may be building cycling specific muscles.[/QUOTE]

This why I generally do not ride two days in a row but the day after an exerting ride I do some form of exercise to get the muscles working. May not be a recovery ride but walk a couple of miles is usually enough.

But on rides and I often find that at the top of the longer steeper hills I have used the legs too much and they begin to feel tired and sometimes hurt. Fatal thing to do is stop to give them a rest and I do a thing called "Silly Spin" Get to the top or even on the downslope on the other side and spin at 120 or more with no effort on the pedals. Blood flows through the legs and gets rid of whatever is causing the tiredness-lactic acid or toxins- and it is not long before the legs are ready to tackle the next hill.

I am not saying that a leisure rider at a leisurely pace has to do a recovery ride but if they feel muscle strain then a few miles gently later in the day or the next day will improve the aches and pains. Just the movement of those stiff muscles-providing no strain is put on them- will aid recovery. And if it is a more experienced rider that has pushed himself a bit hard- then that gentle 5 miles will work wonders------As long as it does not turn into a 20 miler at pace up hills as you feel so good. And I have had it so I have to do a recovery ride---From the recovery ride.

Spike Milligan