Old 03-19-13, 07:44 AM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhtooefr
Heh, the blank slate effect of the single-speed Dahons... (And the Boardwalks aren't THAT much heavier, especially when you consider they have steel fenders and such. And some of them were 4130, making them essentially the same as the Speeds, although mine's gaspipe.)

Another thing to consider, if you don't want to modify a SRAM Automatix's shift point (seriously, SRAM, is it too much to ask for an easy spring tension adjuster? Doesn't even have to be as easy as the old Shimano AB-100, just something external), is the Sachs Duomatic. Long-term reviews of the Sturmey-Archer S2C are almost universally bad, but you can find old Duomatics without too much trouble. (I got one from Jens of scheunenfun.de.) Bonus, the old Duomatics won't need the rear triangle to be widened (I'm at least assuming that it's a 110 mm rear triangle on the Speed...)

Now I just want a front drum brake (because I hate rim brakes), but Greenspeed apparently doesn't do the 74 mm Sturmeys any more, so I'll take a dynohub instead and live with the rim brakes.
Sturmey Archer S2C hub isn't meant for wet weather riding. You will easily kill it like I did this year. The problem with the S2C hub is with the older design. I recently got a warranty replacement of the entire new hub internal assembly from Sturmey Archer and it was free. David at SA UPS the new hub no question asked free. Once I got it, my mechanic replaced it and it is now working perfectly!

New internals seemed to switch gears a lot easier and also noticed the drag was a lot less compared to when I got it from Bruce. I already put around 1000 miles on it btw before the orginal internals locked up.