View Single Post
Old 03-21-13, 02:28 PM
Danielm7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time to upgrade my Dahon

I have a Dahon Boardwalk that I ride to work every day, I love it and I'm considering upgrading to something with gears. I originally purchased it when I was riding the trolley since I could fold it up and carry it on with me, saved me at least an hour a day since I could catch an earlier trolley and get home must faster.

First I looked at it and thought it looked really goofy, now I just love it. I moved into an apartment near my work and I sold my full size mountain bike since I really don't have room for it but I'd like to ride more than just the short jot back and forth to work.

Anyway, I'm in kind of unique situation, well not completely, but semi rare, I'm an IT guy for a bike shop. Which means I love bikes, but I'm not nearly as up on all the tech as the actual bike mechanics are, I do their computer systems, the website, ecommerce orders, stuff, like that. Because of that I can buy at wholesale so I can buy more than my actual budget can allow for at retail pricing.

I'd like to stay with Dahon, we do have 2 Giant folders here, a halfway and a clip. I'm not really into the look of the halfway and the clip is out of my price range even at wholesale. I'll be selling my boardwalk when I get a new bike, the Speed7 would be perfect pricewise for me. Although I saw someone use a Speed P8 the other day on a local 15+ mile ride leaving from our shop and he had no trouble keeping up with everyone else on their carbon road bikes, which was pretty impressive for me. With that said the P8 is about the top, if not above my price limit even at the price I can get it and after selling my boardwalk. I do recognize better components are worthwhile though so I'm looking at other models too.

I'd like to stick with the 20" wheel, I do like the look of the curve though, looks like they are all smaller. I see the P8 doesn't have fenders or a rack. While I haven't used the rack on my boardwalk yet I do appreciate the fenders since I've already ridden in rain and snow a number of times when it started while I was already at work.

Just looking for some feedback from people who have the speed7 or the speed p8 or even anything in between in a 20" wheel. I realize I could ask my coworkers but non of them are really huge folding bike people to be able to give personal recommendations.

Thanks!