View Single Post
Old 03-25-13, 12:15 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AZT, don't apologize for being a relatively new racer. You will learn. It's OK to say you don't really know. Looking at the dates you noted, it seems like you just don't have enough information. Too much change in too little time with too little to go by. Not only that, this is a complex topic with no simple answers unless something is completely out of whack. Look how long it has taken me to dial my new frame in. The differences in geometry are subtle. I have a lot of miles in my legs. I can feel a 1mm change in the saddle position, yet I still couldn't figure it out.

You say you have a weekly practice crit series. That is a good place to try some of this stuff out. Do a race or two to work on your bike handling. Once you feel comfortable in the turns then let us know how the bike feels. It should not be sliding out from underneath you. If it is, try and determine if it's you or your position on the bike. If you can purposefully throw more weight into the same turn at roughly the same speed and it sticks, then it's probably not you, it's the fit.

I also found myself needing more weight over the front end. It wasn't sliding, but it was too light. I know the feeling. It's not confidence inspiring. I ended up moving the saddle forward quite a bit and going to a longer stem. I got more power and better pedaling motion down below, and I am flatter and a lot more aero up top. Everybody is different, though.

Best of luck getting this sorted out.