Old 03-26-13, 06:54 AM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Salubrious
I did something like this a few years back. I used a Terry Osell fillet-brazed frame that I found at a swap meet cheap. Terry Osell used to work at the Waterford Paramount shop back in the 70s or 80s.... I interviewed him about the frame and he identified it as one of the two lightest frames he had ever built.

The problem was there was no provision for a rear brake as it was a fixie track frame. I wanted to ride it on the street.... So I built it up with a Bendix 2-speed hub on a Velocity 700c rim. I built the front wheel with a black Campy record hub, which matched the black fork and black Velocity rims. Brooks saddle, carbon fiber seatpost, tried a variety of quill stems and settled on a black Bianchi stem with some composite bars. I installed a black Campy dual-pivot on the front, seems to me a Sugino crank with about 44 teeth. Overall the bike came in at 17 pounds despite the Bendix hub.

I broke the hub and rebuilt the wheel with a new Sturmey Archer 2-speed. I sold the bike to a friend of mine, but I will see if I can get a photo. It was really pretty- that frame was really amazing. The bike was super fast, and just enough gear to handle most of the Twin Cities, unless you went too far east
Very nice!

Lucky thing about living in Florida... I really don't need a wide range of gears. I'll probably set it up so that I'll spend most of my time in "low gear" and reserve "high gear" for those times when I have a nice tailwind. LOL