Old 03-26-13, 02:16 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
You mentioned not taking more apart that is necessary. It seems that the cranks, racks, fenders, handle bars ,seats & posts. I am not sure what I cannot not take aparts.
It was general guidance, as you seem to be rather meticulous with your new tandem, even moreso than I am and I'm pretty meticulous.

As a point of reference, I've seen folks with travel tandems show up at rallies who have removed all of their water bottles, brakes, handlebars from stems, cables, etc. to the point where the bike was pretty much a bare frame that had to be built up from scratch when they arrived. Their rationale was, it made the velcro padding easier to install and the bike easier to pack. Both of which were true, but they spent 2 hours re-building their bike; something that should only take between 30-60 minutes... and perhaps another few minutes for just getting the velcro covers sorted out. I'm looking to eliminate those when I finally get around to packing our Calfee... just not sure what I'll use to replace them, e.g., packing the frame in layers of foam or some other material.