View Single Post
Old 03-26-13, 02:16 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
... and even more weight to add with a computer mount extension. EGAD, another 20gms!! LOL

We now have the Thomson setback post for both captain & stoker + a 130mm/17degree stem for the stoker. That stem is mounted high on the captain's seatpost, 1cm above the bend in the setback post. This places her reach nearly identical to what we had with the straight post + a 140mm/17 degree stem. Current photos posted here.

My stoker is very lightweight and doesn't muscle the bars. Probably a good thing because with this setup I can fairly easily bend the Thomson seatpost side to side as I perform a little post-install "stress test". The seatpost is inserted far beyond the "minimum" line on the post, so that should not be a factor here. There are other more stout seatposts with setbacks that I could use, but I do like the Thomson posts and have quite a few on hand... so I'd like to stick with these.

Has anyone ever broken a captains seatpost due to side-to-side stoker bar stresses?