View Single Post
Old 03-27-13, 07:57 AM
BTM87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
You massively underestimate the capabilities of a road bike, this is all ridden by a trial pro, but give the idea of what a road bike with off the shelf kit is capable of

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0" target="_blank">
LOL I'm sure I am - I've nearly eaten it a few times however simply trying to ride across damp gravel where the front wheel digs in...stuff like that. I'm sure a better rider makes a bike much more capable, but I'm just out there for exercise and to have fun.

Originally Posted by Bekologist
of course you can put road pedals on a cross bike -

That's why they call them 'cross'. It's your bike, right? and your pedals? Unless you're concerned about image on group rides, who cares?

go for it.
Nah I don't really ride in groups, or care about image all that much (I probably have some of the hairiest legs out there). Just curious if there was a fundamental reason of "function" I shouldn't be using these pedals, since everything I came across said to use mountain pedals.

Originally Posted by contango
I use a cyclocross bike for much the same things as you, and put a pair of Shimano A530 pedals on it. SPD clips on one side and platforms on the other side, so I can either wear my SPD shoes or just about anything else suitable for riding in (I did find it suboptimal the time I wore my flipflops to ride it to the bike shop, but since it's a 5-minute walk it wasn't an issue).
This is kinda an interesting idea. As weird as it was riding on platforms and not being clipped in, it was kinda nice being able to just get on/off. I do prefer clipping in but this is something to think about when I get pedals for this guy.