Old 03-27-13, 09:23 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
I've had two heart attacks, The first while riding, the second about half hour after a twenty mile ride. I'm still at it. I ride in traffic, occasionally take lanes, but try to be real smart about it.

Everything in life has risks. Some activities, like cycling, increase that risk. These risks are manageable, i.e. don't skip taking meds, (I no longer do) slow down for unfamiliar curves, if there is high density, high speed traffic don't take that lane, etc.

Just some things to consider. It seems like a big decision for you two. Whatever you decide, good luck.
+1

Life is risky.

The way I finally came down on the issue is this. I can accept the virtual certainty of rapidly declining health (let's face it ... I'm no spring chicken, and I'm no gym rat either) and a infinitesimal risk of catastrophic injury, or I can accept the significantly reduced probability of declining health (or at least deferred) and accept a small, but more significant risk of catastrophic injury.

I've chosen the latter. And if I were to run out and get killed on the road this afternoon, I wouldn't regret my choice.

Even if riding a bike doesn't extend my life expectancy one second, it's made my life fuller, more experential learning experience.

Like they say ... it's not the years, it's the miles ... and I wouldn't trade my miles for anything.

PS: Sorry to hear about your wife's crash. This is your time to shine as the worlds most attentive husband.

PS2: Tegaderm rocks for the road rash.

PS3: Don't be shy about asking for pain killers for the cracked ribs. They flippin hurt.