Mark Rolling

Bikes: Cinelli Estrada, Niner MCR, KTM Phinx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies everybody,

J
imc101 - I have a chain gauge, checking the chain condition regularly, and changing when necessary - no compromise. Also cleaning and lubing once in a while.
Regarding the spares - for Shimano there are all the spares available, for Mavic it can be more difficult. There are spares, but not all of it and not always, I know people who got stuck without spares (spokes / hub parts ) for several weeks.
Regarding the condition- you're right about the hard life they might had, so I'm acctually looking for wheels which are new / almost new / not used much, and anyway I will get it checked by a bike mechanic if its not new.

roccobike - I also think that the the 717/XT wheels are not much of an upgrade (the least upgrade from the list), and I prefer a bigger step forward, and more weight-saving. These cost as the Shimano MT65 set, so I guess I prefer this one over.

ksisler - I guess changing the wheels will make a big difference on the bike, because of the rotating mass, and right now there's a lot of mass. I also like good handling, especially on the front tire, so I use Kenda Nevegal 2.35 - it holds very well, but add some more weight and rolling resistance.
Anyway I can live and enjoy riding without changing the wheels, but I guess that reducing some 400-500 grams or more from the wheels will feel much better.
Regarding the chain and maintenance - I know it is important and do the cleaning and lubing regularly.