Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jabike
I think that your presumption that fat people can't get a comfortable saddle is wrong. I have spent many hours in a saddle without a problem. I remember in past days when people would complain about sitting in a wooden pew on Sunday morning. In both cases, you just have to work up to it.
I agree. I rode the stock saddle on my Giant Sedona DX for 3 years now, 1900 miles. It has done fine. I have had occasional chafing, especially after breaks, but I have heard that the pofessionals have chafing as well. I have weighed between 300 and 365 pounds during that time. I have also been riding a bike with a relatively upright position which should accentuate any problems with the saddle.

I would fear issues with any attempt to increase area that is exposed to pressure on the seat, since it could inhibit movement which would probably actually lead to more pain and/or less efficiency. But if someone finds something that works for them, then I think it is great.

However, I recently wore cycling shorts for the first time on my Giant dual-density foam saddle, and felt even better than usual.

BTW, as far as the earlier estimates of time comfortable in the saddle. I ride up to 3 hours (at 300 pounds) and any issues after a ride tend to be oncentrated in the legs and shoulders, not sit bones (although on a long ride there is some tenderness)

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson