Old 09-05-05, 08:30 AM
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by guydickinson
Hi everyone - new to the group, and the swift folder.

I've just taken delivery of a swift folder - a 'custom' build from Peter Riech at swiftfolder.com. I'm in the UK, so I'd never heard of the swift, but I'd been searching through folding bikes and was unwilling to sacrifice speed and ooomph, but really wanted a folder. Brompton's are two a penny over here and very cool, but I didn't like the suspension and soft ride. Tried a moulton atb (excellent ride, but doesn't easily fold!) and so I was close to getting an airnimal or bike friday, when I came across the swift. Coincided with a New York trip, so I test rode one around Brooklyn, talked to Peter about what I needed and he built one up on the next available batch of aluminium frames.

I'm really pleased with the bike - frame is super tight and firm (rides just like a full size hybrid, I think), and I can really get some speed and feel totally at ease and in control in fast, dangerous traffic. I'm 5'11 and 16 stone (i.e. fairly hefty) and this takes my weight no problems at all.

Here's a bunch of photo's I took if you're interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/guy/sets/887609/ - I've geeked out and take some close shots of the weld, dropouts etc. for those that were asking for details on that.

The custom bits were:

Shimano Nexus 7 speed internal geared hub (2 lbs in extra weight but totally worth it!)
Deore XT brake levers
Deore LX brakes
Shimano 105 BB and crank
Racing Saddle
Deore LX headset

Rest was swift stock I think - rims, tyres etc.

The bike weighs 24lbs - 2lbs directly attributable to the internal hub, but I love it, so can forgive the weight gain.

Interested in the previous poster's amendment of a longer, carbon stem to his xootr - might try that idea out and see if it makes a significant change to the riding position (which seems fine to me.)

The swift is an excellent, simple design. I think it reaches 80% of the size of a folder that I need, with precisely none of the compromises of a traditional folder. The bonus is that it takes pretty much standard everything...useful, as I'm in the UK.

Thats a nice mix of 105, and Deore LX components. Sweet! So Peter is building on aluminum frames now? Is your frame built in the USA or Taiwan? What kind of internal gear hub do you have (Sturmey? Rholoff?) and how many gears?[Nevermind...Nexus 7 speed] Is that a 1/8" single-speed chain? I like how the gear shift cable is routed inside the dropout to protect it, unlike the Sturmey Archer that has it's mechanism precariously protruding atop the axle-end. What are those herringbone slick tires? I want to get those!

Yeah, definitely play with the stem length/rise. I went to the extreme of hack-sawing 3 inches off my stem post, then smoothing it down with a dremmel sanding wheel.

Welcome to the Swift "fold". I'm confident you'll love your Swift as much as I do.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did your custom Swift cost?

Back to the Nexus 7-speed: how does it feel? Are all the gears solid and not "muddy" or "mushy"? How's the gear range? The reason why I ask is because I have a Dahon with a 5-speed Sturmey Archer, and the gears are really muddy when it comes to efficiency and power transfer.

Last edited by james_swift; 09-05-05 at 08:19 PM.