View Single Post
Old 03-31-13, 05:58 PM
kevbo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I picked one of these up. With the 20% coupon and my dividend I was only about 150bucks out of pocket. I am a bike nerd, but this is my first folder. I don't know how to tell a Tern from a Dahon. The REI specs list a number of the components as tern. I only have a few miles on it.

I am a Clyde, so I always stress relieve, tension up and true any machine built wheels. As recieved the wheels were well centered and exceptionally true. The rear spokes were fairly snug, another half turn made them nice. The font spokes were barely more than finger tight, though. I ran them up 1-1/2 turn before I was happy. The front bearing cones were WAY tight...I backed them off almost a half turn, and still had a little preload.
The front wheel is 20 spokes, not 32 as REI specs indicate. Front hub is 74mm OLD as seems typical on such folders.

There is a label indicating 230lb maximum wt. rating. I am currently pushing the envelope there. If I don't manage to break it, that speaks well for it. I am also 6'5" so have the seat mast maxed out, putting even more stress on the frame. We'll see. If I break it, we can agree it was not a fair test.

ETA: The tires are Schwalbe Citizens...much nicer than the Kenda crap that a lot of bikes come shod with. Only thing is they are 45mm wide on 15mm rims, so I will be taking extra care not to ride with low air pressure.

ETA2: Even thigh this is my first folder, the fold is quick and easy. I believe I could maybe beat the claimed 15 seconds with some practice. The magnet that latches the bike folded is strong enough for storage, but I suspect not for carry. I have added a velcro strap from the seat mast to the top tube...probably doubles the fold time, that.

Last edited by kevbo; 03-31-13 at 06:48 PM.