Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhc09
New to road cycling here. Ive mountain biked for a few years, but this new addiction has me shook every time a car comes whizzing past me. The courteous folks, the ones who slow down and move over don't bother me (I have noticed you can hear the difference as the approach you from behind). But, the cars who stay straight and don't slow down still makes me extremely nervous. Side note: I had a good friend struck by a car and killed a couple years ago, so that still resonates within me each time a car approaches.

Any advice?
Ok-

1. Before you go on the road, understand your skill level, pursuant to the speed limit of a given road
2. Familiarize yourself with Alabama's Sec. 32-5A-(263, 281-285), and with the traffic code pursuant to the responsibility of motorists' i.e. minimum speed laws. In my state, on a 40mph road, the minimum speed is 30mph
3. Respect what motorists' have to do on the road, while standing your ground as a cyclist.
4. No 'ninja'(riding against the traffic flow) riding.
5. Also, Familiarize yourself with Alabama's close pass law.

To better explain what I am suggesting, go the minimum speed of the road you are on, that the traffic is allowed to go in the traffic code.

Last edited by Chris516; 03-31-13 at 09:56 PM.