Thread: Swift folders
View Single Post
Old 09-05-05, 02:48 PM
guydickinson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi james_swift - my folder came out out at $1150 before shipping and UK tax. The dollar is weak at the moment (and more so in the late summer), so it was as good a time as any to make the investment.

I can't take any of the credit for the choice of component blend - I know very little about bikes, so just outlined my requirements to Peter Reich. The component prices are quite a bit cheaper in the states, compared to the UK as well, so it was a good deal for me.

re. the frame, I'm certain it's the same Taiwanese frames as xootr use - in fact Peter used a xootr shipping carton...if had 'black' checked as the frame colour.

I think the chain is a 1/8 - I had to replace the chainring as it took a hit in the carton during shipping and bent - the replacement the guy in the local shop specced was 52T 'TA' chainring 1 1/8 PCD.

Quick question - if I get a lower number of teeth, this will presumably increase the pedalling effort and thereby 'lower' the gearing? Or am I being dumb?

The tyres are 'standard' primo comet 100psi tyres - they have a very fine (1-2mm) herringbone tread on them - as close to slick as I suppose is safe for an inexperienced rider...they ride fast though :-)

Re. the nexus hub - I've never ridden a modern hub based bike before, but it's lovely - gear's are incredibly true, click directly into place and feel incredibly solid - I've had maybe 3 or 4 moments (in a weekend of long cycling) where it's clicked into gear on a hard pedal and then clicked again, but I think I need to slightly readjust the line up on the gearing.

I wouldn't say it's mushy at all...I was initially sceptical of hub gears as my memory of them (20 yrs ago) were stumey archer 3 speeds and they were terrible - as Peter promised, this one's nothing like it.

It's a lot nicer than a derallieur imho - none of the slide of a chain moving across the cogs...and it's simple clean and out of the way. For urban riding it's excellent, as several times I've had to slam to a stop because of dumb cars/pedestrians - I can readjust gears whilst stationary.

Only compromise for me is the maintenance if it fails whilst on holiday (i.e. how much harder for a local bike shop to fix vs. the universally understood derallieur) and the weight gain...but I suppose I can always build a fixed gear if I want an 18lb swift :-) And if my hub gear goes on holiday, I end up with a fixed gear anyway :-)

Re. the range - again, this is my first 'proper' bike for a long time, so time will tell, but the range seems fine. I use mainly 3rd and 4th for gentle/medium level riding , 6th and 7th for strong, fast downhilling and 2nd for uphills. Not hit any major inclines, 1st seems very high too me, but I'm sure I'll appreciate it one day. But as my fitness improves I may want 'lower' gears - hence my question about the reduced teeth on a chainring.

Only slight criticism with the folder is that I noticed that the upright handlebar stem has a slight amount of play - basically it's not tight enough on the stem...I've just adjusted the quick release and it's fine, but pretty hard to release...I guess that's the trade off for quick release - or are there better release levers out there?

Last edited by guydickinson; 09-05-05 at 02:57 PM.