View Single Post
Old 09-05-05, 06:51 PM
trubenal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aroundoz
If you already bought the Soma, I am sure it will work fine. However, I almost bought it but first contacted American Cyclery in SF, since they were the ones that designed it, and they said it is not intended as a loaded tour (even thought the SOMA webpage says it is). It is a great do all bike but if you are going to load it go the distance, you might be better off w/ something a little more stout especially since you are 200lbs.
I should qualify that, its more credit card touring so I think (I dont have the experience to back this up) that the Soma will be alright. I am also a backpacker and always tend to go the ultralight route, so I wont be loading it like some of you guys do, well except for the whole body weight thing. This assumption seem valid, but someone please tell me before I make a mistake. I figure its got to be a better choice than my cannondale R2000.

Also, I havent purchased the frame yet so I am open to other suggestions as well. I over analyze purchases like this so other ideas will be appreciated. I also looked at:

Surly Crosscheck (Soma is less recognizable, same price, all same features, and I have been told better steel and butted tubes.)
Surly LHT and ebay touring frames (I need the bike to function as other things as well, I cant afford more specialty bikes, I already have an old SS road, MTB and race bike. I wanna reduce and simplify)
Surly Pacer & Soma Sport (I like the double eyelets and rear spacing of the DC)
Gunnar everything (A little pricey, I think I am getting better value)
Salsa La Raza (no reason to choose this over the others)
Various other cross bikes new and used (double eylets and rear spacing thing again)
I will probly go the 'buy a nicer used bike for parts and sell extra stuff' route to spec the bike out.

Thanks folks

Last edited by trubenal; 09-05-05 at 07:10 PM.