Old 04-05-13, 08:49 AM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flu all week; should I race tomorrow?

Hi All

I can't figure out if I should race tomorrow or not. I thought you all might be able to share some wisdoms with me.

I have had an outstanding winter of training - until last Sunday when I skipped a ride because I felt I was coming down with something. Monday-Wednesday I was pretty much bedridden with the flu, and yesterday and today I am on the upswing. Today, Friday, I would say I'm 90%, but probably I am not quite well enough to go for a ride today, but I think the trend is positive enough that I'll be able to ride tomorrow.

Tomorrow's race, a crit, is an important one for me, call it a "B" race. It's the first race of the year for my category of frenemies, which is cat 4/45+.

Here are some of the various thoughts running through my head:
- I certainly won't be in top shape tomorrow - at the minimum I'll have stale legs. I'm going to get crushed.
- Don't be a wuss; push through
- don't take the start line if you're not in it to win it
- racing is training is racing
- give 'er a go and see what happens
- just be conservative and rest
- At this stage of my illness a hard ride won't impact my recovery (I think)
- If I wake up feeling like I want to ride my bike, then race; otherwise, don't.
- If I wake up feeling like I want to ride my bike, then go ride my bike; but don't race, you'll just get crushed and there's no point to it.

So what would you all do?