Old 04-05-13, 11:08 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
It may be the bolt-pattern issue, but some road shoes do have both bolt patterns with threaded inserts.

Also keep in mind that anything that causes unintended release or failure to release could indeed cause death.

Something to think about!

One more thing about road shoes is the absence of tread to either side of the recessed cleat, and most SPD-type pedals have this tread making contact with and bearing load against the body of the pedal, and thus stabilizing the shoe/pedal interface.

Without this tread, who knows?

Maybe the cleat would disengage from the added lateral movement.

Maybe the loops on the Eggbeater pedal would break from the leverage of the added movement, or bend and then fail to release properly.

I've had shoes that cracked straight across the cleat area, which made for very difficult release.
Replacing the shoe and not correcting the compensation adjustments to the pedal's tension screw (that I had made while using the failing shoe) caused my new shoe to silently come out of the pedal while sprinting, and my foot went into the front spokes. I got pitched off the side of the bike as the rotating wheel lifted my right foot suddenly after the cleat snagged on a spoke.
Luckily the bike slowed quite a bit from the resistance before I came off, and unbelieveably I barely had a scratch but sustained a mild concussion from getting booted in the head by a passing rider's clipped-in foot! I finished the ride on my mostly un-damaged bike.

Another sprinting episode ended when my Ergo shifter over-shifted a bit while accelerating, causing a gross, sudden slippage of the drivetrain.
My foot came un-clipped, the toe of my new Sidi shoe getting a bit of road-rash to the toe as the bike veered suddenly to the right.
I stayed on, and had wisely pulled well ahead of a couple of other riders before unleashing most of what I had, so the shoe's appearance (and my nerve) were the only casualties that time.