Thread: Fixing a brake
View Single Post
Old 04-06-13, 10:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,343 Posts
While the yoke geometry doesn't have to be the same, I based my advice on the photos showing both brakes, which are identical.

The attached brake has textbook perfect yoke geometry. There would be zero benefit to going with a longer yoke up front, and there's no room to go shorter because of tire clearance. So going neither longer, nor shorter leaves only one option, going the same.

Experienced mechanics often tweak yoke geometry to achieve certain advantages, or solve issues like rack or fender clearance, or might use a different brake front and rear (as I do) for various reasons, the OP already has both brakes, and lacks the experience and knowledge to get creative, so like an old army guy, I stuck to the principle of KISS and recommended the OP stay with the same length.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.