gnatthew
best-dressed mess

Bikes: 2 Unicycles duct taped together

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbhowat
Why are people acting like this is a "how to skid" thread. Believe me, I know how to skid. I've had a couple of fixed gears. I've been riding my own for over a year, but I've ridden and practiced on other people's before that. The question stems from experience with different setups and while there has never been a bike that I couldn't skid (at least since I learned how to do it). However my current bike is pretty difficult. The long stem helps, but the stem is also really low in the headset. When I lean forward and lock my legs, my nuts are nowhere NEAR the stem, in fact the bars hit closer to my knees than my nuts. I could raise them I guess but I like the way my bike is setup (I currently have about 4-5in of drop from the seat to the tops of the bars.)
I generally find that a longer wheel base helps. It's way easier to skid on my 54cm Steamroller than on my 51cm Debernardi. Bar/stem length isn't everything either, i find that a too-long setup on a too small bike makes things too unstable....I'd say non-dropped (level extension) bullhorns on a relatively short stem would probably my fave for skidding. It also has a lot to do with proper bike fit.