View Single Post
Old 04-09-13, 06:21 PM
refthimos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
A couple of minor points... My Dolan DF3 weighs more than my Cervelo P2C TT bike. The frame is heavy and badass stiff. Both the Kilo and 500 meters are raced in aerobars. The 500 is for women and masters men 50+. The kilo is for men 49 and under.

Probably the greatest track starter and kilo racer is Sir Chris Hoy. Here is a 2002 video of him doing the Kilo in Manchester. Manchester is a 250 track that is very similar to Velo Sports Center in Carson, CA. Watch Hoy's start and the position of his arms. They are straight and forward of vertical. He is in a big gear. I am speculating 98 but it may be bigger. I remember reading that his starting power is 2800 watts (may be wrong). He explodes out of the starting gate like the Jamaican runner Usain Bolt does in the 100 meters starting block. He makes the bike look irrelevant to the event. Where would he shift to a different gear and why would it be necessary?
I'm no Chris Hoy and I'm pretty sure no one else that will participate in the club event is either.