View Single Post
Old 04-10-13, 01:48 PM
GFish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buzzed Again, Having Second Thoughts

How frequently do you encounter motorist that give you concern for your safety?

Two nights ago, commuting home late night (work 3 - 11 pm), empty road, good visibility, bike has 2 lights rear and two in front, with reflective clothing and tires, an white SUV traveling over 55 mph crossed over the white line to buzz me. It felt like this SUV passed within a foot, more likely 2 feet..... could have reached out and touched the vehicle.

Does this happen to you? Are you overly concerned for your safety? Do you ever have second thoughts?

I've had this happen before on other roads, plus other road hazing. But geez, why would anyone want to intentionally harass and potentially hurt someone?

Family and friends frequently tell me I'm crazy and shake their heads. And we all have read the stories about cyclist injured or killed on the road. I wonder, are we an accident waiting to happen, where the odds are stacked against us?

I don't want to become a statistic, but relying on other people to watch out for me, maybe that is asking to much. Really, I'm placing my well being and longevity in someone else's hands every time I'm riding on the road.