Old 04-13-13, 07:03 AM
paisan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred

The glue in sleeve for the discontinued AlphaQ concerns me. The bottom of it would be awfully close to the upper bearing.
I'm not sure I understand the concern with the glue in sleeve? I have lots of experience building Cervelos and every one of those uses a similar system and I haven't heard of or seen any failures with the plug. The issue I see is if a person wants to cut the steerer in the future then you have to sort out removing the old plug. I bought a Look fork for my DeRosa a few years ago and it had the same sort of plug. I just went and bought a compression plug to use instead of the glue in. You're only concern here is that the glue in plug is also sometimes designed to act as a reinforcement for the steerer, but if you look around you can find a compression one that will do the same thing.

Here's an example of the type I am talking about. You can see that this plug has the compression device inside a sleeve that acts as a reinforcement for the steerer much like the glue in plug. Here's another. Though this one looks like a standard compression you can see it is much longer so it will support the steerer for the full height of the stem.

My point is, don't let the glue in plug be a deciding factor if thats the fork that you really want.