View Single Post
Old 04-15-13, 09:17 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If your saddles weren't comfortable at 185 they can't be expected to be so now. Chances are reasonably good that you didn't have the right saddle all along. Or, that they weren't positioned properly for you. Sit bones don't change because of outside padding. However, the padding can get in the way of properly distributing the pressure where it's intended to go. Which can lead to discomfort, just as if you were using an over padded gel saddle.

The gap between sit bones is not always proportional to the rest of your frame. I am reasonably broad across the shoulders and chest, yet, have medium sit bones and run fairly normal width saddles (Selle Italia Turbo or Flite). The Turbo is more of a T shaped saddle instead of a V shaped one.

Don't be afraid to go into the LBS, tell them your story and what you're after. Several local shops worked with me through my saddle trials, even when I was honest about wanting to try as many as possible and my inclusion of other shops in order to achieve that. You should however, then purchase from one of the LBS' and not off the net. This and clothing are two of the areas where LBS' should be compensated for the convience of having a product on hand for us to try before buying.