View Single Post
Old 04-16-13, 05:05 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It's not clear why this wouldn't be the point. The latter (less important) point is another reason it isn't that good of an idea. Why suggest things that are impractical and not necessary?

It's easy to cheat (you might need a buddy with a car). The rules (as they stand) don't really do anything to prevent cheating.

If you were really concerned, you could have people use a tracking device that guaranteed they "rode" the entire course at a "bicycle speed". But even that wouldn't preclude cheating.
Huh? It's a theoretical construct. If you find it an uninteresting theoretical construct that's fine, but that doesn't answer the question of whether a collection of train tickets, each covering the journey from one control to the next control, would be considered acceptable evidence for cycling the entire route.

When I ride I validate with GPS wherever possible, as it's less of a faff than stopping to collect receipts for trivial purchases regardless of whether I actually wanted to stop or not. On a calendar event that doesn't work but then there are proper controls with stamps and things which makes it easier. As you say you can fake a GPS track log without too much effort. When I submitted the first DIY brevet I ever rode the validator read my email with my proposed route and thought it was my actual track log.