View Single Post
Old 04-16-13, 06:01 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DanWho
Way Way back when, I was in the army, a small group of us were always riding bikes around on the post. One of the guys got tired of the cars always buzzing him while riding. He started carrying a rubber mallet with him. The first few times that he smacked a car as it went past too close he said that the car drivers got out mad and the MPs were called. The MPs always gave the driver a ticket for driving too close and causing an accident. I'm sure their insurance companies loved them too. It didn't take long and every car on base gave us the full lane when they passed. I don't know if I would want to do that today, too many people out there with violent tendencies and no self control.
It's nice to know there is someone else who was as nuts as I was in my youth. I used to walk over cars that rolled into the cross walk at stop signs when I was crossing the street. (Motorists tend to only look left when making a right turn so they don't see pedestrians coming from their right.) At 6'2" 190 lb. I left dents in the hoods.

The only time I ever did something like that as an adult was when I was walking on a gravel shoulder with my teen-age son. A rather course man in an old pick-up ran a stop sign in front of us and cut the corner such that he almost hit us (he was coming from our left and turning right towards us). Rather than push my son into the ditch so that I could avoid the side-view mirror that was coming at my face, I just punched the mirror. Like I said, it was an older pick-up so the mirror didn't fold back, it broke off. That fellow was as mad as a hornet and cursed up a blue streak, but in the end he picked up his mirror and drove off.