Old 09-07-05, 10:33 AM
jabowker

Bikes: Old Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sggoodri
... Cyclists rode a bit farther away from the doors, and motorists passed at wider distance. Wrong-way and sidewalk cycling also declined. ... .
This is the kind of results I would be hoping for. I think that they also might be helpfull in training people on proper/legal lane position at intersections, ie. lane selection and position based on intended direction of travel.

Originally Posted by sggoodri
... Note that sharrows could easily be abused, too. They could end up placed on the right edge of narrow lanes to encourage cyclists to get out of the way. This would be a variation on the substandard-width-bike-lane problem that sometimes happens where street designers try to squeeze cyclists and motorists into supposedly carefree side-by-side operation where in fact much more caution is warranted.
I agree but don't think the possibility is unique to sharrows. There's potential for abuse and/or simply poor implementation of virtually every option available and the only way to address it is active participation of experienced cyclists in policy making and planning.