View Single Post
Old 04-17-13, 03:01 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
You can't totally avoid carbs. And see my signature.

Research is still hard to pin down, partly because there are so many variables and long term research in the area of diets is difficult. With that caveat, this is an interesting study on diet type and changes in food cravings: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23010779

I think people overemphasize the psychological component of the drive to eat too much. Maybe it is because people think that if something is psychological it can be easily fixed. I don't know.

My hunch is consistent with what researchers say, that hormones in the body monitor what fat you have and drive you to want to eat if there is a perceived imbalance, demanding more fat on the body than what the body should have. At some point, the amount of energy your body wants to store is set too high, maybe from a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Some people seem to be able to overcome this drive through the use of various tools. The issue is to what extent is the type of diet you eat a significant tool. The jury is out.
It would be difficult to avoid all carbs. However, if you get your carbohydrates from green vegetables that have a low glycemic index, you can avoid the "hunger" that follows as well as the insulin spikes.