hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Forester
Originally Posted by hagen2456
You guys don't get it. And yet, we've been through it before. The average speed on Dutch cycle paths seem to be around 16 km/h, and it's slightly higher in Copenhagen. The reason it's so low is that every part of the population cycles. Children aged 4, grannies like my 80 years old mother (my dad doesn't count there, as he rides rather fast), as well as messengers or people like me.

I am sorry to read how it appears impossible for you people "to get" the importance the relationship between distance and speed and time. You praise commuting cyclists wearing business suits, and grocery-shopping grandmas propelling freight bikes, and how everybody at all ages cycles at low comfortable speeds. They can do so because these cyclists are making short trips over level ground. The short distances are because they are made in a society that matured as a walking city. The American commuting cyclist, often living in suburbia, has to make longer trips, often over hilly terrain, and, for much of the year, in much hotter weather. The greater length of the trips provides the reason for needing higher average speed, and the hills and weather are additional reasons for wearing cycling clothing.
Er... you're totally lost, man.

We've got that kind of bike commuters, too. They just don't make up the majority. Judging from the clothing that Copenhagen cyclists wear, I'd say that they're at least as many as are their American counterparts. But why shouldn't they be? After all, it's quite easy to attain high speeds on most of the network of bike paths. As I've already told you, by the way.

Oh, and hills... we've got sleet, snow, and strong winds (you know, the kind of stuff Tom Boonen compared to alpine climbing). Doesn't keep (most) people from biking.

Edit: You keep babbling about "walking cities". Where's the relevance? most of Copenhagen is post-1900, and as I've already told you, the sprawl is of American dimensions. You also once more bring up the "slow speed", in spite of the fact that lots of cyclists ride very fast.

I really think it's time for you to realize that you're dead wrong about Dutch or Danish cycling.

Last edited by hagen2456; 04-20-13 at 04:30 PM.