Old 04-22-13, 05:53 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
Well since you had a whole week to add something constructive to the thread and didn't - thanks for nothing - again!
And your earlier post was still wrong and misleading.

I've used iPhones for traveling (or tried to) with mixed results. The first generation iPhones has no GPS capabilities. Zip, nada, nothing. But they did allow some navigation referencing by trilateration using cell tower and Wi-Fi network locations. It was entirely dependent on signal reception of my service provider.
Why are you talking about ancient phones? That's not very useful.

Then there was the 3G versions, which were designed to work optimally on A-GPS. Mostly because this is an iPhone and not an iGPS unit. Which means its primary function is as a phone which is normally used intermintantly in populated areas where there are lots of metal structures, and lots of signal towers. A lousy environment for GPS reception but ideal for A-GPS.
You are pointing out the obvious. That's not very useful either.

And as long as there's good reception - Google Maps and a number of other Internet services completely negated any need for any pure GPS functionality for me. And signal strength was usually reasonable along most highways and around populated areas. So can you go pure GPS? Sure - except that A-GPS gets a fix faster anyway, and if you're in a 'no reception' area, you might still get a GPS signal, but thats pretty useless without something to reference it against or a way to store the information.
WE KNOW THAT A-GPS IS FASTER. Why do you keep repeating stuff that everybody already knows? It is still not "dependent" on it.

So on my last trip I just took pictures and used the time, date, and GPS positioning referenced in the EXIF data of the photos to plot my own maps when I got back. Still needed an external battery pack and still needed to watch battery management, but a lot less so. I also had photos to reference or insert and not just waypoints, and a lot less hassle. Not that I think you'd undertand all that - but a few other people here might.
???? You keeping saying not to use the phone GPS and then you recommend using the phone GPS (in photos). You aren't making sense!

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-22-13 at 05:58 AM.