Old 04-24-13, 08:00 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabby
I'm so glad you're here! So, the last time I rode a road bike was around 1996. I had red and yellow Fuji 10-speed. I don't remember what model. I used it to commute to and from class in college until it got stolen.

Since 2008 I've commuted on a mtb actual mtbing and some group road rides. Since the group rides are for all comers I generally don't have a problem keeping up. I ain't a lightweight woman (140lbs of solid muscle YAAARRGHH!...ahem, maybe not quite) but I'm pretty fit.

The bar has a very slight rise, but that's what came with it. I've ridden flat before and never noticed it was better or worse.

My handlebar is probably a little lower than my saddle, or close to even. I based the saddle height on being able to have only the slightest bend in my knee and the bottom of the pedal cycle. I can tell you I am always hefting my bottom back on the back of my saddle. I feel like the mtb is too short between saddle and bar.

Note, I was not at all fitted for my mtb. I just got one that wasn't too big. I think it might be a bit small.

If by aggressive you mean I like to put it out there and power up hills and get myself going, then yes. The only time I tool around is when I am with my son, who is 12.

But, I am not a competitor. I don't like to actually compete. I just like to put out effort, feel my heart and muscles work hard.

Based on my experimentation I feel like I like to be stretched out a bit. It was a bit unnerving to be in a road bike position at first but I got used to it.

Flexibility: I tend to have tight hammies from running but when I cycle more it helps counter that. My flexibility changes easily.

I would imagine I would be in the middle. I don't like being very upright.

OK, I'll check those out. But thanks! I was thinking size up, too.
Based upon everything you wrote, I still suggest the 51 because you have some tolerance for stetching out and you can always get your handlebar low enough with a 51 with conventional head tube length which that bike has.
You don't sound to be a perfect candidate for a comfort geometry based upon your comments. You may very well like that Moto Ti bike geometry.
A bike is a pretty big purchase and so you want to make the best decision about sizing. It wouldn't hurt for you to ride a bike or two at the local bike shop. Do your homework. Its pretty easy to compare the geometry of a bike you would ride at the shop with your Motobecane geo chart. You may have to contact bikedirect to get the head tube length for the 51...a pretty important frame dimension that they tend to leave off their geo chart.
Have fun. You will love the speed increase of a road bike. As to the competition thing. I say embrace it. There is nothing wrong with friendly competition among your friends you may ride with.