Old 04-25-13, 01:54 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Shame about that beautiful seductress. Glad your riding mate wasn't hurt too bad. It is actually more difficult for me to reach the brakes than when on top, (don't use any shims in the STI levers). When on the hoods, I've noticed that it is possible for my hands to "bounce off" when going over a particularly nasty bump. That's a bit disconcerting, and have learned that my fingers are long enough to wrap two of them under the hoods, usually the ring finger and the little finger - sometimes the ring and middle fingers. That's pretty secure, and my hand strength is such that enough force can be applied to slow down pretty quickly, using the index and middle/bird fingers. I'm going slow enough that I'm not too worried about stopping and more concerned about over-heating the rims. I'm so slow going down GMR that I think my time shows up on the last or next to last page of over a thousand riders who've made the ride. My downhill speeds for shorter descents are probably close to 30 mph, unless I can really see far ahead where I'll "open it up" to the mid 40s. Thanks for the warning. I appreciate it.

- - - - -

Just looked it up. I'm 1719 out of 1991. That's pretty sad for a clyde. KOM time is 12:26 at 37.4 mph. My time is 20:17 averaging at 22.9 mph. (Pretty consistent. Of the five times I've made that descent, they all have been between 21.9 mph and 22.9 mph, (20:17 to 21:17 minutes). Guess we all know where I'm most comfortable. I have definitely done faster on flat TTs.)

p.s. Page 69 of 80.

- - - - -

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Back to our regularly scheduled programming - Riding Mix Canyon.

Last edited by volosong; 04-25-13 at 02:13 PM.